Friday, June 3, 2011

Grandma Sandi

I am still way behind in blogging and am just getting through all the March & April photos, so that explains why this post is 2 months late.

On March 14, 2011, my sweet Grandma Sandi passed away. Two months later, as I'm typing this, I can't believe she's really gone. This was no ordinary grandma that we only visited on holidays. She was intricately involved in each of our lives. Grandma Sandi helped raise us when we were babies, played Barbies on the floor with us when we were young girls, went to concerts with us when we were teenagers, and gave great advice as we married and had children of our own. She religiously called us on our birthdays, anniversaries, and weekly to check in and find out what we were up to. She ALWAYS was the first person to leave a comment on my blog posts. I am sad as I type this knowing she isn't going to comment on this blog post.

Her greatest joy was her grandchildren and great grandchildren. She just loved her family. Here is a picture of Grandma Sandi and Maddie when she was 6 weeks old. Maddie was her first girl great grandchild and she just ate up all the girly clothes and bows. 

This was from a visit to Grandma Sandi's home when Maddie was less than a year old. She laughed and laughed as she watched Maddie chase her dogs around while she chanted, "Gog, gog!"

The only positive thing about Grandma passing away was the opportunity it gave all of us to come home for her funeral. It is very rare to have all six children together with all of our spouses and children. Grandma would have loved having all the family together.

We took the opportunity to get all of Grandma's great granchildren together in a picture. Here is everyone except for Annie - I think she was sleeping, maybe?
From left - Jamie, Tyler, Macey, Maddie, Adam, & Noah

And one more with all seven of them in their Sunday best!

Some fun twinner pictures - I love my Robinetta so much and I treasure the time we are able to spend together since we live in different states. 

Maddie loved playing with her cousins. She ran after Adam & Tyler all week. We wish they all lived closer!

Me & my girls on our way out the door to the funeral. I dressed the girls in matching dresses because I knew Grandma would have loved it.

Macey giving Derrick some love.

 All the moms and their babies! What an amazing legacy Grandma Sandi left behind. 

We are all so happy that Grandma is with her family and is no longer in the pain she so bravely endured for so many years. See you soon Gramoo! :)

4 comments:

Katie said...

I was sorting through some papers the other day and I came across her funeral program, and I couldn't bring myself to cover her up with other papers. I miss her.

The Desatoff Family said...

I know exactly what you mean. When I update my blog it just isn't the same because a lot of the pictures and stories were put there just for her. There is a giant void that's only partially filled knowing she isn't wincing in pain every time she moves now. Oh, I love her so much. How lucky we were to have so much time with her.

The Bennins said...

You girls were so important to her and so lucky that you had so much time with her. My boys loved her and enjoy when I tell them stories about her, but don't have as many wonderful memories. I wish that they would have been able to appreciate her "grandma love" like you did. I miss her and still can't believe she isn't just a phone call away.

Mom said...

Some days it takes longer to remember that she's gone, but other days it just hits first thing in the morning like a ton of bricks. As I was going through pictures for Kristen's grad video, it was astonishing that in one picture everyone is gone: Grandma and Grandpa Eatough and Grandma Sandi. I knew that this time in my life was coming, but I can't believe it's here. Thank goodness for the gospel and it's sweet assurance that this is not goodbye. Thank you to both Moms for teaching me to be a Grandma.